Top 5 places that harbour germs in your workplace… and all may not be as obvious as you think!
Did you know that there are places in your workplace that can harbour more germs than the toilet seat? In fact, the toilet seat would not even make it into the Top 5 most infected area… but where would?
- Office Desk – The average desktop has 400 times more bacteria than a toilet bowl, simply because people usually don’t clean their desks on a regular basis. Most of these germs are harmless, but in a recent study the parainfluenza virus, which causes colds and flu, was found on about one-third of office surfaces. The germiest object: the phone. Viruses such as the flu can survive for two or three days on desktops, phones, and computer keyboards. They’re transmitted when you touch contaminated objects and then put your hands on your nose, mouth, and eyes.
- Kitchen Cloth – You use them to wash your cups, cutlery and plates, but experts have warned that dishcloths are dirtier than toilet handles. The cloths collect six times as much bacteria as the handles and harbour potentially life-threatening germs such as E.coli. By using a contaminated cloth, people are likely to be transferring bacteria around the workplace and putting themselves and their colleagues at risk of infection. A dirty dishcloth can also contaminate hands, which in turn can cause direct contamination of other surfaces and cause indirect infection.
- Hand/Kitchen Towels – These may be used to dry clean hands/ pots however using towels within the workplace can harbour germs that are being spread if people fail to wash theirs hands/ pots thoroughly enough. People are also likely to use a kitchen towel to dry up kitchen surfaces that may not have been cleaned properly, therefore spreading bacteria from the kitchen surfaces to people’s hands and around the office!
- Fridge – You could pick up bacteria and viruses from touching fridges after colleagues have put their germs on them, particularly after handling food, but there are also dangers in keeping food past its use-by date, especially in a fridge that is not working very well.
- Door Handles/Push Plates – Possibly the most touched surfaces within an office, door handles/push plates are used frequently throughout the day by everyone! Think about all the germ hot spots we have already mentioned… all of these germs will then be spread to every handle someone touches!
If you want to minimise the risk of germs harbouring in your office, a daily clean will help eliminate the spread of bacteria and maintain a healthy environment for you and your colleagues.
At Eco Brite Cleaning Services, we take care of your cleaning requirements so that you don’t have to, therefore if you would like to talk to one of our team about how we can benefit your business, call us today on 01482 646770 or request a Quick Quote for more information!